Stop Throwing Your Money in the Trash

This Will Be My Daily View 

There are many ways we needlessly throw away our hard earned money. Whether it is because you only live once or I will never get to do this again mentality it is not a good idea. We may not know better.  

Sometimes we don't even realize it. We can avoid this from happening. These steps may not seem like much, and are fairly simple, over time you will see how the savings add up.  

This is not about depriving oneself of anything, only modifying spending habits and changing the mindset. Completing just some may be good enough.

Forget the corner coffee shop with the “fancy” coffee you drink every morning, drop it. That one cup of coffee can set you back $4. If you buy one every weekday, you spend more than $1,000 a year. Some don’t just buy coffee; the muffin or scone is a must. This is real and it is worse than you may think. Read on and see for yourself. Brew your coffee at home instead and add flavored creamer if you must.

Replace the single-serve plastic water bottles with a reusable water bottle.  Get one with a filter. You now eliminate the unnecessary waste of money and are earth friendly to boot. We used to go through a box a week at home until I finally took note of the added expense. Meanwhile the filter lasts about three months.
Imagine Lunch While Sitting Here

Brown bag your lunch to work. Have home cooked meals more often and take leftovers the next day.  Home cooked meals are usually healthier as well. Some fast food restaurants will offer the $5 “meal” while lunch at a casual sit down will probably cost about $12. I am not saying that you can't eat out; I connect with my sons; it is family time when we eat out but we can’t do it all the time.

Over the last several years there has been a push to cut the cable and get rid of your TVs. Me, I enjoy watching some TV and will be not be getting rid of mine. I eliminated the premium channels, the ones that show you the same movie countless times.

I did keep the basic package until I realized I could save even more by simply streaming. Was able to walk away from the bundling they forced on their customers too. Our monthly bill is now about $100 less than before and I don't miss any of the channels I dont have.


The bad habits: the pack-a-day smoker, the 6 pack of beer every night. Instead of sitting down to watch TV until you pass out for the night, take a walk and get some exercise.  

Kick those unhealthy habits, your wallet and your body will both thank you. Enjoy your beverage of choice, just do so in moderation.


I am all in for using credit cards. Just be responsible with them.  Last year I exchanged my points for airline miles and visited my brother almost for free.  I pay the bill in full when due and it basically becomes an interest free loan.

Travel hackers and credit card churners love credit cards. Some cards offer 50,000 bonus points just for signing up and then meeting the minimum spending requirements. The points can then be converted into airline miles for discounted or even free travel and hotel stays.  All of this for purchasing what they would have anyway. Don't travel? There are many other rewards available. Gift cards, merchandise, shopping discounts. Other offers include cash back, teaser rates like a 0% interest rate for an introductory period and/or for balance transfers.

Churners simply find credit cards that offer the rewards they are after and applying for them. Once they receive the rewards, they simply cancel the card and move on to the next one.


We All Need A Good One

Try switching phone providers to get away from the big three, or is it only two now? The numbers keep changing. Service is just as good and much less expensive.

You may not strike it rich by following these steps but you can easily save a few hundred dollars a month without going to extremes. Do something productive with the money you saved. Pay off outstanding debt. Buy your future self something worthwhile by increasing your 401k contribution, or your IRA.  Completed those? Get a taxable account or open one with a robo advisor. Make your money grow. I am gunning for financial independence and these will help me get there a little sooner.




The views here expressed are all my own and are not legal, professional or financial advice. You should consult a professional before investing. Referral links may be found throughout, I only recommend products I believe in.  This site also presents links to other sites but is not responsible for their content or privacy practices.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Toxicity Caused by Today's Politics

My Solitary Journey Towards Financial Freedom

We Should All Have A Credit Card